How to reduce the file size of a PDF document on a Mac computer in 4 simple steps
Category : entrepreneur
- You can reduce a PDF’s file size on a Mac computer in just a few steps.
- It’s a good idea to reduce the file size of a PDF if you need to save storage space on your Mac or in the process of sending the file, but it may also reduce the quality of your PDF.
- Here’s what you need to know to reduce the file size of a PDF on your Mac, using the Preview app.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
When it comes to saving space on your Mac computer, there are many things you can do — empty the trash, delete app installers, get rid of duplicate files, and more.
You can also reduce the file size of PDF documents in order to make them more compact, and take up less space on your Mac.
However, it’s important to note that doing so may also decrease the quality of the original PDF.
If you need a high-quality PDF, for a presentation or work assignment, you may be better off using another space-saving method, like saving it to cloud-based backup system or an external hard drive.
But if you decide it’s the right way to go, here’s what you’ll need to do in order to reduce the file size of a PDF on your Mac, via the Preview app.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
MacBook Pro (From $1,299 at Best Buy)
How to reduce PDF file size on a Mac computer
As long as you know which file you want to reduce, this should be a quick and easy process:
1. Open the PDF — if Preview isn’t your default app, right click the PDF, then select “Open with” followed by “Preview.”
2. Once the file is open, go up to the top toolbar and select “File” and then “Export.”
3. You’ll see a pop-up window appear over the top-middle section of the PDF — click the drop-down menu next to “Quartz Filter” and select “Reduce File Size.”
4. Click “Save.”
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to clear the cache on your Mac computer to make it run more efficiently
How to free up space on a Mac computer that’s running out of storage
How to change your Mac computer’s password, or reset it if you’ve forgotten it
How to allow pop-ups on a Mac computer while using a Safari browser