How to post on Instagram from your phone or a computer, using the official app or an internet browser
Category : entrepreneur
- It’s easy to post on Instagram from your phone or computer, provided you have the right setup.
- If you’re posting on Instagram from your phone, you’ll need to have the official Instagram app. You can upload photos, videos, and Stories.
- You’ll need to change your browser settings to post on Instagram from a computer, which you can do on a Mac or PC.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Since its release in the second half of 2010, Instagram has taken the world of social media by storm. It is an elegantly simple platform that boasts more than a billion monthly users and sees as many as 500 million using the platform each and every day.
That stunning popularity aside, many people still wonder exactly how to make an Instagram post, and many more ask if you can post to Instagram from a computer.
In regards to the first issue, the process is swift and simple once you know the steps. Regarding the latter, you can indeed post to Instagram right from your Mac computer – provided you know a trick to convince the site that you are accessing it via mobile.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone Xs (From $999 at Apple)
MacBook Pro (From $1,299 at Apple)
Google Pixel 3 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
Lenovo IdeaPad S145 Laptop (From $279.99 at Best Buy)
How to post to Instagram from your phone
1. Log into your Instagram account on the iPhone or Android mobile app.
2. Tap the square at the bottom of the screen with a “+” (plus) symbol inside.
3. Select the photo (or video or GIF) you wish to post from your phone’s library or snap a new image with your smartphone camera. To make a multi-image post – you can use up to 10 pictures in one post – tap the gray circle with an image of layered squares and then tap the images you’d like to use.
4. Hit “Next” at the top of the screen, then select your filter if you wish to use one, and hit “Edit” to make other changes to the way the image’s crop, brightness, saturation, and more.
5. Hit “Next” to add text and location, tag people, and pair other platforms – like Facebook or Twitter – to syndicate your post there, too.
6. Hit “Share” to send your post live on Instagram.
How to post to Instagram from your computer
Instagram is designed only to allow image uploads from a smartphone or tablet, but you can trick Instagram into thinking you are using a mobile device, after which you can make posts right from your computer.
On a Mac computer using Safari
1. Open the Safari browser, then click the word “Safari” from the taskbar at the top of the screen.
2. Select “Preferences” from the dropdown menu, then hit the “Advanced” tab on the popup window.
3. At the bottom of the Advanced window, click the box beside the words “Show Develop menu in menu bar.”
4. Open a new Safari window, and then hit word “Develop” from the taskbar at the screen’s top.
5. On the dropdown menu, hover over “User Agent,” then select “Safari – iOS 12.1.3 – iPhone.”
You are now viewing Safari as if you’re on a mobile device and you can upload images or other media right from your computer. Go to Instagram, and you will see the “+” button at the bottom of the page, which you can click to post. However, note that uploading from a computer does have some constraints — you can’t post videos or multiple pictures, and have limited editing tools.
On a PC using Google Chrome
1. Go to Instagram.com and log into your account.
2. Right-click anywhere on the page, and then click “Inspect” in the right-click menu.
3. On the right side of the screen, a window filled with code will appear. At the top of this menu, click “Toggle Device Toolbar” icon — it looks a phone in front of a tablet. And make sure the toolbar at the top of the page says “Responsive.”
4. Refresh the page.
5. Close the Inspection window.
Like above, you’re now viewing Instagram as if you’re on an iPhone. Once you close the Inspection menu, you’ll see a “+” button at the bottom of the page, which you can click to post pictures. However, you can’t post videos or multiple pictures, and have limited editing tools.
Check out the video version of this article on YouTube:
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to use the Shop feature on Instagram, so you can buy featured products directly in the mobile app
How to contact Instagram for help with your account, or to report other accounts
How to edit an Instagram post to change the caption, tag people, add a location, or edit the ‘alt text’
How to delete your Instagram account on an iPhone, or temporarily disable it