How to avoid highways on Google Maps for your directions on desktop or mobile
Category : entrepreneur
- You can avoid highways on Google Maps for your directions if you wish to avoid traffic or take an alternate route.
- It’s easy to set this preference on Google Maps, whether you’re using the website or mobile app.
- Here’s how to set up your Google Maps to avoid highways.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Google Maps can be a useful tool when it comes to getting from point A to point B in a timely manner.
But sometimes you may not necessarily want the quickest way, or you have a feeling there’s going to be traffic on those larger roads.
That’s when it’s time to take advantage of a lesser-known tool on Google Maps: Avoiding highways.
Here’s how to set up your Google Maps to do that, whether you’re using the desktop or mobile version of the site.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
iPhone 11 (From $699.99 at Best Buy)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (From $899.99 at Best Buy)
How to avoid highways on Google Maps on desktop
1. Go to maps.google.com.
2. Click into the blue right-turn icon, located next to the “Search Google Maps” bar.
3. Enter your starting and ending points.
4. Click “Options.”
5. Tick the box next to “Avoid Highways.”
How to avoid highways on Google Maps in the mobile app
1. Open your Google Maps app on your iPhone or Android phone.
2. Select the three stacked lines to open the menu (the location may vary depending on the kind of phone you have).
3. Tap “Settings.”
4. Select “Navigation settings.”
5. Scroll down to the “Route options” section and toggle on the “Avoid highways” option.
From there, you can also choose to avoid tolls and ferries if you wish.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to update Google Maps on your iPhone or Android phone, to get the latest features and security updates
How to calibrate your Google Maps app to give more accurate directions, on iPhone or Android
How to change your default home address on an iPhone, in both Google Maps and Apple Maps
How to change your route on Google Maps on desktop or mobile, to choose an alternate route or make your own