How to turn off notifications on Windows 10 for individual programs, or all at once
Category : entrepreneur
- You can turn off notifications on a Windows 10 computer if you start finding them more annoying than helpful.
- Windows notifications are the small pop-ups that alert you at the bottom-right of your screen when certain changes are made, or a program wants your attention.
- You can turn off Windows notifications in two ways, both of which involve going through your “Notifications and actions settings” menu.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
If you’ve been using Windows 10 for long enough, you’re probably used to being swarmed by notifications. It seems like every program has something to tell you.
And perhaps you’d like to avoid seeing another notification about plugging or unplugging a USB.
Salvation from one of Windows’ consistent annoyances is at hand.
Here’s how to turn off notifications in Windows 10 — either from all your applications at once, or only from certain programs.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Windows 10 (From $139.99 at Best Buy)
Lenovo IdeaPad 130 (From $299.99 at Best Buy)
How to turn off notifications on Windows 10
1. Open the Start menu by pressing the Windows key, or by clicking the Windows icon at the bottom-left of the screen.
2. Search “Notifications” and select “Notifications and actions settings” in the search results.
3. A new menu will open. Near the top of this menu, there should be a toggle switch labeled, “Get notifications from apps and other senders.” Switch it to “Off.” This will turn off all notifications.
4. Two checkboxes remain: “Show me the Windows welcome experience…” and “Get tips and tricks…” These are like tutorials — if you’re already familiar with how Windows 10 works, it’s recommended that you uncheck these boxes as well.
5. Alternatively, if you scroll down, you can turn off notifications on an individual application-by-application basis. If you turned all notifications off already, these switches will be greyed out.
Related coverage from How To Do Everything: Tech:
How to turn off notifications on your iPhone for individual apps, or adjust the types of notifications you receive
How to change your Windows 10 computer’s name to make it more personalized and easier to find on your network
How to change the language on your Windows 10 device
How to create a shortcut in Windows 10 to open any program, file, or folder faster