The director of 2015’s critically reviled ‘Fantastic Four’ movie reviewed it and said he expected it ‘to be much worse than it was’
Category : entrepreneur
- Josh Trank, the director of the 2015 “Fantastic Four” movie that flopped at the box office and was critically panned, reviewed the movie on Friday on the film-centric social platform Letterboxd.
- Trank called the movie “alright” and wrote that he thought it would be “much worse than it was.”
- He alluded to some production woes, saying that there are “two different movies in one movie.”
- The Hollywood Reporter said in 2015 that Trank was “erratic” on the set of the movie, which Trank pushed back on at the time.
- Trank wrote in his review that he was in “a situation more complicated than anything a 2nd time filmmaker should’ve walked into” but he doesn’t regret any of it.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
2015’s “Fantastic Four” is considered a huge misfire critically and financially. The Fox movie received a 9% Rotten Tomatoes critic score and flopped at the box office with just $56 million domestically and $167 million worldwide off of a $120 million production budget.
The movie’s director, Josh Trank, opened up about the movie in a review on the film-centric social platform Letterboxd on Friday, saying it was “alright.”
“I was expecting it to be much worse than it was,” Trank wrote. “I literally haven’t seen it since like two weeks before it came out, and I was in a heavily fucking traumatized state of mind. Why? Eh, save that for another time.”
He continued, “Everyone in the film is a great actor, and overall there is a movie in there, somewhere. And that cast deserves to be in THAT movie. Everyone who worked on Fant4stic clearly wanted to be making THAT movie. But…. ultimately… It wasn’t. Did I make that movie they deserved to be in? To be honest? I can’t tell.”
Some behind-the-scenes turmoil, such as reshoots to add more action to the movie, was widely reported at the time of the movie’s release. The Hollywood Reporter reported in May 2015 (three months before its release date) that Trank was forced out of a “Star Wars” movie, which has since been scrapped, because Lucasfilm was reportedly alarmed by his behavior on the “Fantastic Four” set.
An anonymous source told THR that Trank was “erratic” and “very isolated” during production on the movie. Trank, meanwhile, said he exited the “Star Wars” movie for personal reasons. He told The Los Angeles Times in June 2015 that it was ” the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make in my life” and pushed back on THR’s report.
“None of those facts were true, and any of the facts that were true were spun in such a maliciously wrong way,” he told the Times.
Trank alluded to the difficult production in his Letterboxd review, saying that there are “two different movies in one movie competing to be that movie.”
“I was 29 years old, making my 2nd film, in a situation more complicated than anything a 2nd time filmmaker should’ve walked into,” Trank wrote. “That said… I don’t regret any of it. It’s a part of me.”
The Fantastic Four film rights now belong with Disney after the company acquired Fox’s film studio earlier this year, meaning the characters could potentially appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in the future. No plans for that have been announced yet, though.
If Disney does make another “Fantastic Four” movie, Trank is hoping that “Ant-Man” director Peyton Reed directs it.
“I just hope Peyton Reed makes the next Fantastic Four and crushes it,” he wrote. “And that I get a cameo.”
Read Trank’s full “Fantastic Four” review here.